How to make a career in the Diamond Industry
Are you obsessed with diamonds and want to make a career in the Diamond industry? If so, here is all that you need to know before you take a step towards making a career in the diamond industry.
- The list of fastest growing industries in the world includes the gem and jewellery industry. As a matter of fact. India is said to be the diamond manufacturing centre of the world that exports 95% of diamonds in different corners of the world. Surat has approximately 10,000 diamond units located in the city which makes it the largest supplier of diamonds in India. The city accounts for 50% of the total exports of Diamonds in Gujrat alone.
- Other than Surat, Gujrat’s famous cities named Rajkot and Ahmedabad are major manufacturers of diamonds and other gems. These cities are famous for exporting the highest quality of diamonds. In order to meet the growing demands, there is a constant technological upgradation to produce the finest lot in the world. It is said that every 8 of 10 diamonds are from Surat which makes 80% of the total supply of diamond in the world.
- The escalated production of diamonds in the Industry is a result of great research, skilled manpower and government support. Diamonds that are mostly mined in Africa, Australia, Canada and Russia are generally traded in Belgium after they were processed in India.
- The global nature diamond industry paves way for students who are planning to make a lucrative career in the diamond industry. With the upscaled production of diamonds, people have started noticing the integrities involved in the production. It is due to this, there are specialized courses available for students who are planning to make a career in the diamond industry.
- Candidates, who are planning to pursue a course in the diamond industry, can look into various segments in which they can specialize. These programs focus on manufacturing, trading, sales, appraisal or design and understanding the 4C’s (Cut, Clarity, Color and Carat). It is 4Cs that determine the value of a diamond in the market.
- One of the career paths students can explore in this industry is to become a gemologist. A gemologist is responsible for identifying gemstones. There is an increase in the need of a trained gemologist who would accurately identify the stones. A gemologist has multiple areas of work as a buyer, trader, laboratory and research professional and more. Many diamond manufacturers, jewellers, gemological laboratories and jewellery retail chains are constantly on an outlook for a trained gemologist. If you are someone who is considering making a career in gemology, it is best to ask a Leverage Edu expert for help. Leverage Edu assists students in taking a step towards higher education.
- If you are someone who takes a lot of interest in diamonds and other gemstones, it is best to learn the nitty-grittys of the diamond industry. Leverage Edu advice every student to sign up for a course that matches with his skill set and interest. Since many educational institutions are offering diplomas in gemology, it is best to ask an expert which of all the institutes is best for a student.
What is important here is that each student must identify his/ her interests and goals that they want to achieve. Before they sign up for a program, it is advisable to seek professional help since experts can help them look at the pool of opportunities that are available to them. Furthermore, they must also look at the career prospects post the completion of their programs and sign up for a program that hones their overall learning experience as an individual.